|front |1 |2 |3 |4 |5 |6 |7 |8 |9 |10 |11 |12 |13 |14 |15 |16 |17 |18 |19 |20 |21 |review|
The references are repeated in Dental Care of the Future Parts 1 and 2.
1. Barnett ML, Baker RL, Olson JW: Material adherent to probes during a periodontal
examination. J Periodontol, 1982,53(7): 446-448.
2. Watson MR, Lopatin DE, Bretz WA, Ertel IJ, Loesche WJ: Detection of two anaerobic periodontopathogens in children by means of the BANA and ELISA assays. J Dent Res 70(7):1052-1056, Jul, 1991.
3. Kononen E, Asikainen S, et al The early colonization of gram negative anaerobic bacteria in edentulous infants. Oral Microbiol Immunol 1992:7: 28-31.
4. Kononen E, Jousimies-Somer H, et al Relationship between oral gram-negative anaerobic bacteria in saliva of the mother and the colonization of her edentulous infant. Oral Microbiol Immunol 1992:7: 273-276.
5. Van Steenbergen TJM, Petit MDA, et al: Transmission of Porphyromonas gingivalis between spouses. J Clin Periodontol 1993: 20: 340-345.
6. Alaluusa S, Asikainen S, et al: Intrafamilial transmission of Actinobacillus
actinomycetemcomitans. J Periodontol 1991: 62:207-210.
7. Offenbacher S, et al: The similarity of periodontal microorganisms between husband and wife cohabitants - association or transmission?: J Periodontol 1985: 56(6): 317-323.
8. Loesche WJ: Chemotherapy of dental plaque infections. Oral Sci Rev. 1976: 9: 63105.
9. Microbiology: Fundamentals and applications 2nd edition: Chap 21: Ronald Atlas: MacMillan Publishers, New York, c. 1988.
10. see reference 9, p.655.
11. On consultation with the ADA Council on Dental Practice Dr. Don Collins, it
appears that the "standard of care" is decided in the courts on a county by county basis by testimony of expert witnesses in response to medical malpractice lawsuits. The profession has resisted efforts to develop set standards for itself. In my opinion, this is a potentially dangerous system by which to run health care for the public. It allows backward practitioners to continue to practice on humans for extended periods of time.
In addition, since the "standard of care" varies from county to county, to attempt to control treatment outcomes and costs is impossible.
12. Keyes PH and Jordan HV: Periodontal lesions in the Syrian hamster. Arch Oral Biol. 1964 (9): 377-400
13. Keyes PH, et al: The use of phase-contrast microscopy and chemotherapy in the diagnosis and treatment of periodontal lesions-an initial report (I). Quintessence International 1/197B: 51-56.
14. Keyes PH, et al: The use of phase-contrast microscopy and chemotherapy in the diagnosis and treatment of periodontal lesions-an initial report (II). Quintessence International 2/1978: 69-76.
15. Keyes PH, Rams TE: A rationale for management of periodontal diseases: Rapid identification of therapeutic targets'with phase-contrast microscopy. JADA: 1983: 106: 803-812.
16. Vanooteghem R, HUtchens LH, et al: Subjective criteria and probing attachment loss to evaluate plaque control and root debridement. J Clin Periodontol: 1990: 17: 580-587.
17. Slots J: Bacterial specificity in aduit periodontitis. A summary of recent work. J Clin Periodontol: 1986: 13: 912-917.
18. Keyes PH: A treatment rationale for management of periodontal diseases.
Alabama State Dent J: 1984: 68: 18-25.
19. Rams TE, Keyes PH and Wright WE: Treatment of juvenile periodontitis with
microbiologically modulated periodontal therapy (Keyes Technique). Pediatric Dent:1985: 7: 259-270.
20. Rams TE and Keyes PH: Nonsurgical management of rapidly progressive
periodontitis. Gen Dent: 1986: 34(1): 54-59.
21. Rams TE and Keyes PH: Treatment of periodontal patients with impaired manual dexterity - A case report. Gerodontics: 1987:3: 89-93.
22. Bragd L, et al: Clinical and microbiologic study of "refractory" adult periodontitis. J Dent Res (Special Issue): 1985:64:234 (#538).
23. Gordon J, et al: Efficacy of clindamycin hydrochloride in refractory periodontitis - 12 month results. J Periodontol (Supplement): 1985: 56: 75-80.
24. Slots J, Feik D, and rams TE: Prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibiiity of
Enterobacteriaceae, Pseudomonadaceae, and Actinobacter in human periodontitis.
Oral Microbiol Immunol: 1990:5: 149-154.
25. Keyes PH: Periodontists have limited success predicting disease activity.
Annotations: 1991: 6(6).
26. Ramfjord SP, Nissle RR, et al: Subgingival curettage versus surgical elimination of periodontal pockets. J Periodontol: 1968: 3: 167-175.
27. Pihistrom BL, McHugh RB, et al: Comparison of surgical and nonsurgical treatment of periodontal disease - A review of current studies and additional results after 6 1/2 years. J Clin Periodontol: 1983: 10: 524-551.
28. Rams TE, Keyes PH, et al: Long-term effects of microbiologically modUIated
periodontal therapy on advanced adult periodontitis. JADA: 1985:111(9): 429-441.
29. Loesche WJ, Syed SA. et al: Metronidazole in periodontitis 1. Clinical and
bacteriologic results after 15-30 weeks. J Periodontol: 1984:6: 325-335.
30. Loesche WJ, Syed SA, et al: Treatment of periodontal infections due to anaerobic bacteria with short term treatment with metronidazole. J Clin Periodontol:1981 :8:29-44
31. Schmidt EF, Webber RL. et al: Effect of periodontal therapy on alveolar bone as measured by subtraction radiography. J Periodontol: 1988: 59 (10): 633-638.
32. Loesche WJ, Schmidt E, Smith BA, et al: Effect of metronidazole on periodontal treatment needs. J Periodontol 1991: 62(4): 247-257.
33. Loesche WJ. Giordano J. Soehren S. Hutchinson R. Rau CF. Walsh L. Schork MA. Nonsurgical treatment of patients with periodontal disease. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, & Endodontics. 81(5):533-43, 1996 May.
34. Loesche WJ. The Antimicrobial Treatment of Periodontal Disease: Changing the Treatment Paradigm. Critical Reviews in Oral Biology & Medicine. 1999; 10(3):245-275.
35. Loesche, Walter J., Kazor, Christopher E.; Taylor, George W. The optimization of the BANA test as a screening instrument for gingivitis among subjects seeking dental treatment. J Clin Periodontol Vol24(10) Oct 1997 pp718-726