- MIT, Cambridge, MA
- S.M. in Aeronautics
and Astronautics, September 2000
- Supervisor: Eric M.
- Thesis: Stability and
performance of intersecting aircraft flows under decentralized conflict
- Tsinghua University,
with Honors in Intelligent Control and Pattern Recognition, July 1998
- Supervisor: Yan-Da Li
- Thesis: Function
approximation capabilities of fuzzy systems and random neural networks
92/100 (ranked 1st in a class of 76). Courses
- Tsinghua University,
Bachelor's Degrees with Honors in Automatic Control and Applied Mathematics,
Liang-Jie Zhang and Xu-Guang Lu
90/100 (ranked 1st in a class of 31). Courses
- Research Assistant, Harvard-MIT HST, Cambridge, MA,
- Clerk in clinical medicine with elective in
neurology, Mount Auburn Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA,
1/2003-2/2003 and 5/2003-7/2003
- Research Assistant, MIT, Cambridge, MA, 9/1998-8/2000
- E. Gelenbe, Z.-H. Mao, and
Y.-D. Li, Function approximation by random neural networks with a bounded
number of layers, Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems, vol. 12,
no. 1 and 2, pp. 143-170, 2004.
- Z.-H. Mao, E.
Feron, and K. Bilimoria, Stability of intersecting aircraft
flows under decentralized conflict avoidance rules, IEEE Trans.
Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 101-109, 2001.
- E. Frazzoli,
Z.-H. Mao, J.-H. Oh, and E. Feron, Resolution of conflicts involving many
aircraft via semidefinite programming, Journal
of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 79-86, 2001.
- E. Gelenbe, Z.-H. Mao, and Y.-D. Li, Function approximation by spiked
random networks, IEEE Trans. Neural Networks, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 3-9,
- Z.-H. Mao, Y.-D. Li, and X.-F. Zhang, Approximation capability of fuzzy
systems using translations and dilations of one fixed function as
membership functions, IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Systems, vol. 5, no. 3, pp.
- Z.-H. Mao, Y.-D. Li, and Z.-R. Sun, Comments on fuzzy systems
approximation by frames - SISO case, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, vol. 100, pp.
- Z.-H. Mao, X.-F. Zhang, and Y.-D. Li, On universal approximation
capability of fuzzy systems, Science in China (Series E), vol. 41, no.
1, pp. 6-12, 1998.
- L.-J. Zhang, Z.-H. Mao, and Y.-D. Li, Mathematical analysis of mutation
operator in genetic algorithms and its improved strategy, Journal of
Electronics, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 154-158, 1997.
- Z.-H. Mao and Y.-L. Lin,
Extended random neural network model and its probability structure
features, Journal of Tsinghua University, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 100-103,
1998. (in Chinese)
Zhang, Z.-H. Mao, and S.-W. Xia, A new method to extract handwritten
numerals overlapping position lines, Journal of Chinese Information, vol.
12, no. 2, pp. 25-30, 1998. (in Chinese)
- Z.-H. Mao
and E. Feron, Stability of intersecting aircraft flows under sequential
conflict resolution, in Proc. of 2001 American Control Conference,
Arlington, VA, USA, no. 2, pp. 722-729, 2001.
- D. Dugail, Z.-H. Mao, and E.
Feron, Stability of intersecting aircraft flows under centralized and
decentralized conflict avoidance rules, in AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and
Control Conference, Montreal,
Aug. 6-9, 2001.
- K. Bilimoria, H. Q. Lee,
Z.-H. Mao, and E. Feron, Comparison of centralized and decentralized conflict
resolution strategies for multiple-aircraft problems, in AIAA Guidance,
Navigation, and Control Conference, Denver,
- L.-J. Zhang, Z.-H. Mao, and Y.-D. Li, Mathematical analysis of crossover
operator in genetic algorithm and its improved strategy, in IEEE Int.
Conf. on Evolutionary Computing, Australia, pp. 412-417, Dec. 1995.
Zhang, Z.-H. Mao, and Y.-D. Li, An improved
genetic algorithm based on combinatorial theory and fuzzy reasoning and
its applications, in Proc. of Int. Conf. on Neural Information Processing,
Korea, pp. 180-185, Nov. 1994.
Honors and Awards
- Medical Engineering and Medical Physics Fellowship,
Harvard-MIT HST, 2003
- Zakhartchenko Fellowship, MIT, 2002 and 2001
- David and Beatrice Yamron Fellowship, Harvard-MIT
- Outstanding Thesis Award, Tsinghua University, 1999
- Outstanding M.Eng. Graduate, Tsinghua University,
- Tsinghua Top Grade Scholarship (highest honor for
students of Tsinghua University), 1997
- Outstanding B.Eng. Graduate, Tsinghua University,
- IBM Scholarship, 1994
- Second Prize, National Electronics Design Contest for
College Students, China, 1994
- First Prize, National Mathematical Contest in
Modeling for College Students, China, 1993
- First Prize (ranked 1st), Physics
Competition for High School Students, Hebei Province, China, 1989
- First Prize, Mathematical Competition for High School
Students, Hebei Province, China, 1989