IEEE Mission and Vision Statement
IEEE's core purpose is to foster technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity. IEEE will be essential to the global technical community and to technical professionals everywhere, and be universally recognized for the contributions of technology and of technical professionals in improving global conditions. The IEEE is engaged in an enterprise-wide strategic planning process. A summary of the long-range strategic plan, termed the IEEE Envisioned Future, details the main elements of the plan.
Code of Ethics
WE, the members of IEEE, in recognition of the importance of our technologies in effecting the quality of life throughout the world, and in accpeting a personal obligation to our profession, its members and the communities we serve, do hereby commit ourselves to the highest ethical and professional conduct and agree:
- to accept responsibility in making engineering decisions consistent with the safety, health and welfare of the public, and to disclose promptly factors that might endanger the public or the environment;
- to avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest whenever possible, and to disclose them to affected parties when they do exist;
- to be honest and realistic in stating claims or estimates based on available data;
- to reject bribery in all it forms;
- to improve the understanding of technology, its appropriate application, and potential consequences;
- to maintain and improve our technical competence and to undertake technological tasks for others only if qualified by training or experience, or after full disclosure of pertinent limitations;
- to seek, accept, of offer honest criticism of technical work, to acknowledge and correct errors, and to credit properly the contributions of others;
- to treat fairly all persons regardless of such factors as race, religion, gender, disability, age, or national origin;
- to avoid injuring others, their property, reputation, or employment by false or malicious action;
- to assist colleagues and co-workers in their professional developement and to support them in following this code of ethics.
IEEE On Campus
Pitt IEEE does a wide range of activities on campus from hosting companies to providing tutoring services for the introductory electrical engineering courses. We're also known for hosting awesome social events that include free pizza!
As a student or graduate student member of IEEE you have a variety of resources and opportunities available to help you advance your career. Many IEEE student members are also eligible for discounts offered by IEEE partners. Members gain exclusive access to the latest and best research, news, television programs, and educational resources needed to expand their expertise and stay current. Members are part of the world’s largest community of technology professionals—a network of communication and learning where innovators share what works, what does not, and what is needed now. IEEE members can achieve more of what matters in life and career through student programs such as competitions, scholarships, awards, continuing education courses and certifications, conferences, and more.
- Networking opportunities with professionals in your field
- The latest information on companies and new technology
- Tutoring provided for underclassmen
- Two publications from IEEE with the latest technologies and new ideas
- Social gatherings for IEEE members and other technical degree students
- Technical talks and technical resume building events sponsored by top companies like Microsoft and Intel