Article II- Purpose
The main goals shall be:
a. To create an awareness of Indian Sub-Continent Culture amongst the
b. To provide a platform for statement and provide mutual support for
the Indian Sub-Continent Community in and around Pittsburgh.
c. To provide a platform for all members and interested non-members to
participate in campus activities through cultural events.
d. To establish and maintain contact with the Indian Sub-Continent Community
e. To promote growth in international understanding and fellowship.
Article III- Membership
The membership of this organization shall consist of all undergraduate,
full-time, part-time students, as well as any interested faculty and staff
of University of Pittsburgh.
Article IV – Governing Body
The executive board of this organization will have
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Business Manager, Public Relations
Officer, and Webmaster. The executive committee shall appoint the secondary
A. Duties of the President
1. Runs the weekly meeting in an orderly and complete fashion.
2. Provides a written agenda for each meeting.
3. Ensures that all board members fulfill their duties.
4. Maintains a constant knowledge of university rules, regulations, and
5. Calls and runs all general body meetings.
6. Heads the impeachment hearing if the advisor is unavailable.
7 . Helps in distributing publicity for each event.
B. Duties of the Vice President
10. Takes on the duties of the president when the president is unable
to perform his/her duties.
11. Maintains a constant contact with all faculty sponsors and informs
them of all events that have occurred or will occur.
12. Heads the impeachment of the president if the advisor is unavailable.
13. Works together with the all other members to organize community service
14. Helps in distributing publicity for each event.
C. Duties of the Business Manager
15. Keeps an account of all ISA finances.
16. Records all withdrawals and deposits in the organizational account.
17. Collects and keeps all receipts in which ISA finances are expended.
18. Shall present all receipts and written accounts when requested.
19. Gives a written weekly report of all financial situations to all board
20. Provides budget proposals for all events.
21. Maintains a constant knowledge of university rules and policies, which
affect the organization's financial accounts.
22. Is responsible for the cash box and related materials.
23. Is responsible for organizing fundraising events as necessary.
24. Helps in distributing publicity for each event.
25. Must send daily reports of sales and income to the entire board during
periods of ticket sales.
D. Duties of the Secretary
26. Keeps minutes of all meetings and e-mails a copy to all board members
at least twenty-four hours prior to the next meeting.
27. Provides a written copy of minutes of the previous meeting to all
members present. 28. Takes and records attendance at every meeting.
29. Collects and records the contact information of all board members
and distributes the list to all board members.
30. Collects and keeps all membership forms.
31. Collects and keeps a permanent record of all documents or copies of
documents relevant to ISA such as reservation forms, contracts, publicity,
minutes, agendas, etc. 32. Maintains records and keeps evaluation forms
for all events.
33. Shall be responsible for enforcing the constitution during all ISA-related
34. Helps in distributing publicity for each event.
E. Duties of the Public Relations Officer
35. Designs and prints all publicity for all ISA events in conjunction
with the External Publicity Coordinator.
36. Presents a rough copy of all the publicity to the board upon request.
37. Posts all publicity at least two weeks in advance and monitors the
campus in order to see that the publicity stays up (all board members
shall assist with this task).
38. Passes out flyers at each ISA event for the next event.
39. Distributes flyers to all board members and to the general public.
40. Maintains contact with and utilizes campus publicity sources, such
as school newspapers, student government, IIT announcements, etc.
41. Maintains contact with other Pitt student organizations and keeps
them notified of ISA events.
42. Maintains an updated ISA web site with current information on all
43. Maintains ISA mailing list and sends ISA e-mails.
44. Keeps an updated copy of the constitution and posts it to the web
45. Helps in distributing publicity for each event.
Article V – Election
Any decision affecting the election process must be
passed by a two-thirds (2/3) majority of the executive committee.
1. Elections for all positions on the board shall
be held prior to the end of the each semester. The old board shall not
resign from their duties until the new board is elected.
2. Special elections, for positions that have not yet been filled or have
become vacant, may be held, if necessary, at a time approved by the executive
1. Executive board candidates must declare their intention
to run at least twenty-four hours prior to election with a primary officer.
2. Executive board candidates who do not make their intentions known within
twenty-four hours may still be a candidate if approved by a majority vote
by the executive board.
1. Executive board members will be elected for a term
ending at the end of the academic year by the accumulation of the most
2. Any candidate that is running unopposed must have a majority vote in
order to be elected to that position. Failure to receive a majority vote
will result in that position remaining open until appropriately filled
in accordance with the constitution.
1. Any voter or candidate has the right to request
a re-count of the election ballots within two hours following the election.
2. A re-count of the election ballot will be done by two non-candidate
secondary officers and in the presence of the faculty advisor (if available).
1. Request for a re-election must be made within twenty-four
hours of the original election.
2. Any candidate may request a re-election on grounds that are considered
valid and legitimate by two-thirds of the old board members who are not
candidates for the same position, and in compliance with IIT rules and
3. No new candidate shall be permitted to run for that particular position
during the re-election.
4. In the event of a re-election, voting shall be conducted as specified
in the constitution.
Article VI - Amendments
All boards members must be notified of a constitutional
amendment meeting at least one week prior to the meeting.
This constitution may be amended by a majority vote
of those voting members present, provided there is a quorum.