Pitt Police Department, upon request, will provide safety talks to any
department wishing safety information within their particular department.
The discussions take about an hour and are very valuable. Safety seminars
are available for all members with in University community at no charge
by calling 412-624-4040.
Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a place or situation
·Notify Pitt Police if you see any suspicious persons in your residence
halls or apartment.
· Be aware of your surroundings and travel in well-lit areas. Avoid
shortcuts through alleys and isolated areas.
· If you are being followed, cross the street and go into an open
establishment or where there is a group present then call
· Do not walk alone at night. Utilize the campus shuttle.
· Do not leave your property unattended. Most thefts reported are
of property left unattended.
· If you are being harassed by a panhandler, notify the Pitt Police
or City of Pittsburgh Police immediately.
· Hold your purse, book bag or briefcase close to your body and
keep a firm grip.
· When calling the Pitt Police, give the communication dispatcher
an accurate description of your attacker; race, complexion,
body build, height, weight, type and color of clothing.
· Lock the door when you are in your room or apartment.
Never prop open any doors. Close any exterior doors that you
find propped open.
· Never open your door to strangers.
· Do not advertise on your door or apartment where you will be
or when you will return.
· Be aware of others when using ATM machines.