|In 1875, the chemistry department was first recognized at the Western
University of Pennsylvania, forerunner to Pitt, with the appointment
of Francis Clifford Phillips as professor of chemistry, geology and
mineralogy. Phillips would serve as head of the department until his
retirement in 1915.
The Lecture Series was established in 1955 to honor his dedication
and services to the department.
The Phillips Lecture is the most important event sponsored by Phi
Lambda Upsilon. The noted speakers are chosen directly by the graduate
students. The students then have the opportunity to spend time with
the speakers and to become acquainted with them on a more personal
level. The speakers are chosen among the four divisions of chemistry
on a rotating basis, organic, inorganic, physical and analytical.
Funding for this event is shared by PLU, the Chemistry Department
and the local ACS Chapter. We are thankful to GPSA for additional
55th Annual Phillips
Dr. Phil Baran (The
Scripps Research Institute)
April 20th and 21st 2010
For additional information
about the 55th Phillips Lecture Series and the opportunity to volunteer,
please click here.