Medical University of Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Fall Term 2009
Continuous Study on the Scientification Project in Psychiatry
Drozdstoj (Drossi) Stoyanov was born on July, 20th 1980 in Sofia, Bulgaria to a family of outstanding psychiatrists. He graduated from high school at the age of 15 (1996), and received his MD from the Medical University of Sofia at the age of 21 (2002). Drossi developed and defended his PhD thesis in the field of history and philosophy of neuroscience in 2005 and was elected associate professor of medical psychology in 2008. In December 2007 Drossi Stoyanov was certified by the Government Specialty Board with the rank of Psychiatrist. He is also co-founder of the Balkan Association of History and Philosophy of Medicine (2005) as well as the Balkan Academy for Philosophy, Psychiatry and Psychology (2007). He designed a peer-reviewed project for the establishment of the first University Centre in Philosophy and Mental Health in South-Eastern and Central Europe, endorsed by the International Network for Philosophy and Psychiatry (www.inpponline.org). The Centre has organized two subsequent events with international participation in the field in 2008 and 2009. Drossi Stoyanov was invited at the discretion of the Chair into the Philosophy Special Interest Group of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 2007 and graduated with Post-Graduate Certificate in Philosophy of Mental Health at the University of Central Lancashire, United Kingdom.
Currently he is appointed as an associate professor in the Department of Health Care Management in the University of Medicine, Plovdiv, and as Deputy Director and Scientific Secretary of the Academic Board of the Centre for Philosophy and Mental Health, Psychiatrist in the State Psychiatric Hospital “St. Ivan Rilski”, Ministry of Health.
His major interests are in the field of critical epistemology and especially the scientific validity of the methods and categories of psychology and psychiatry. He has published and/or edited over 65 papers, three monographs and a textbook of psychology.
Drossi’s hobbies are classical music from the Romantics period, art, poetry and history. He loves horse riding and skiing in his leisure. He is engaged to his partner Ilyana, a scientific research fellow in cardiology.
Aug 2014 Update
In January 2014 Dr Stoyanov was promoted to the academic position of Full Professor of Psychiatry, Medical Psychology and Person Centered Medicine.
On June 26-29th 2014 Professor Stoyanov presided the XVI th International Conference on Philosophy, Psychiatry and Psychology “Neuroscience, Logics & Mental development” in Golden Sands, Bulgaria.
Vice President of the European Association for Person Centered Health Care (ESPCH) since 2013. Awarded Bronze medal of ESPCH for Excellence and Innovations in Person Centered Undergraduate Medical education (2014).
Currently he is also Associate Editor, European Journal for Person Centered Healthcare; Review Editor, Frontiers in Psychiatry.
- Loughlin, M., Bluhm, R., Stoyanov, D. S., Buetow, S., Upshur, R. E., Borgerson, K., ... & Kingma, E. (2013). Explanation, understanding, objectivity and experience. Journal of evaluation in clinical practice, 19(3), 415-421.
- Stoyanov, D., Machamer, P., & Schaffner, K. F. (2013). A Fallacious Forced Choice: Cloninger and Stoyanov, Machamer, and Schaffner Are Compatible.Philosophy, Psychiatry, & Psychology, 20(3), 281-284.
- Stoyanov, D., Machamer, P., & Schaffner, K. F. (2013). In quest for scientific psychiatry: Toward bridging the explanatory gap. Philosophy, Psychiatry, & Psychology, 20(3), 261-273.
- Stoyanov, D., Stanghellini, G., & Broome, M. (2012). Conceptual Issues in Psychiatric Neuroimaging: An Update. Current topics in medicinal chemistry,12(21), 2348-2356.
- Stoyanov D (Ed.), Psychopathology: Theory, Perspectives and Future Approaches, Nova Science Publishers, 2013: New York, USA
- Stoyanov, D (Ed.), New Model of Burn Out Syndrome: Towards early diagnosis and prevention, River Publishers, 2014: Aalborg, Denmark
17 June 2011
Drossi acted as the Vice Dean for International Affairs from 2009 to
2011 and holds the position of associate professor and Chair of Medical Psychology in the Faculty of Public Health, University of Medicine, Plovdiv.
In 2011 he has been appointed associate professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Medical Psychology, Faculty of Medicine and Senior Advisor Strategic Partnerships of the Vice Rector International Affairs of the same university. Elected honorary lecturer in the Sofia University Faculty of Philosophy, Clinical psychology and counseling program in January 2012.
He published and/or edited over 120 papers, three monographs and two textbooks of psychology and has received a number of awards for his research, including the Hippocratic Medal from the International Hippocratic Foundation for his contributions in philosophy of medicine. In 2010 Drossi was elected Member by correspondence of the Bulgarian Academy of Science and Arts, Science Division. His latest publications are on the convergent trans-disciplinary validity of the methods and categories of psychology and psychiatry and the introduction of a model for comprehensive assessment of the vulnerability to burn out syndrome in health care personnel.
Since 2007 he has acted as a member of the Editorial board, secretary coordinator (2009) and most recently as Deputy Editor-in-chief (2010) of the International Annual for History and Philosophy of Medicine.
Currently he is also member of the Editorial board of the International Journal of Person Centered Medicine and Folia medica (since 2011). Besides he is Chair of Conceptual group in the Global Network for Diagnosis and Classification launched by the World Psychiatric Association (2008) as well as member of the teaching committee of the European Association for Communication in Healthcare (2010).
Drossi was married in 2009 to Ilyana, a scientific research fellow in cardiology.
- Stoyanov,D. (1999) About Schweitzer, In: Young medics about Albert Schweitzer, Albert Schweitzer World Academy of Medicine, Ed. K. Imjelinsky, Warsaw
- Stoyanov, D. S. et Al (2006), Comorbidity Monograph 4, Perspectives across Europe, European Collaborating Centers for Addiction Studies, Eds A.Baldacchino, J.Corkery, London
- Stojanov, D.S.(2007), Validation theory - from basic neuroscience to pharmaco-psychology, SA Journal of Psychiatry, Vol.13, 3, 2007:116
- Stoyanov, D. (2008), Cognitive and qualification incoherence in psychiatric qualification and nomenclature. Towards validation theory, Scientific researches of USB, Plovdiv, Vol. IX: 269 – 275
- Stoyanov, D. St (2009)., Review - Psychiatry as Cognitive Neuroscience:Philosophical Perspectives, Metapsychology, Volume 13, Issue 47
- Stoyanov, D.St.(2009),The Cross-Validation in the Dialogue of Mental and Neuroscience, Dial Phil. Ment. Neuro. Sci, 2(1): 24-28
- Machamer, P and DS Stoyanov (2009), The scientification project of psychiatry, Int Annual History & Philosophy of Medicine Asklepios, Vol. III (XXII): 51-56
- Stoyanov, DS, PK Machamer and KF Schaffner (2010), In quest for scientific status of psychiatry: towards bridging the explanatory gap, In: Traditions and Innovations in Psychiatry, World Psychiatric Association, St. Petersburg: 44-45
- Stoyanov D (2010), The endophenotype project and the Validation theory: integration of neurobiology and psychiatry, Folia medica, 52, 1: 18-26
- Stoyanov, D and KWM Fulford (2010), Values based medical practice: challenges before the system of education and healthcare in Bulgaria, In: Public Health and Health Care in Greece and Bulgaria: the challenge of cross-border collaboration, Papazissis Publishers, Athens: 327-334
- Stoyanov D (2010), Why a logical-pragmatic perspective on validity in mental health is not sufficient: introduction of the principle of convergent trans-disciplinary cross-validity, Dial Phil. Ment. Neuro. Sci, 3(1): 25-26
- Stoyanov D, On the epistemological legacy of Azarya Polikarov (1921-2000), Epistemologia, XXXIII (2010), pp. 135-138
- Stojanov D, J Korf, P De Jonge and G Popov, The possibility of evidence-based psychiatry: depression as a case, Clin Epigenet, 2011, Vol. 2, Issue 1: 7-15
- Hristov, J, D.S. Stoyanov, B. Tornjova & D. Dimitrova, Bulgarian person centered public health project: towards the introduction of the person centered care model in global medical education politics, Int J Pers Cent Medicine, 2011 Vol 1, Issue 1, pp 101-104
- Stoyanov, D., The concept of cross-validation and the impact of neuroscience on validity in psychopathology, Turkish Journal of Psychiatry, Vol. 22, Summer 2011, Issue 2, Supplement 1: 39-40
- Stoyanov, DS, PK Machamer and KF Schaffner, Rendering clinical psychology as evidence-based scientific discipline: a case study, Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 18: 149–154
- Stoyanov, DS, Translational cross-validation among neuroscience and psychiatry: Prospects for diagnostic assessment and psychopharmacology, European Psychiatry, Vol. 27, Suppl. 1, 2012
- Stoyanov, D, P.K. Machamer, K. F. Schaffner, R. Rivera-Hernández, The challenge of psychiatric nosology and diagnosis: In response to M. Aragona (2012): The study of subjective experience as a scientific task for psychopathology, Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice
- Stoyanov, D, A linkage of mind and brain: towards translational validity between neurobiology and psychiatry, Biomed Rev 2011; 22: 65-76
- Rivera-Hernandez, R, D. Stoyanov, Towards a pragmatic and functional unit of mind-and-brain. In reponse to Danko Georgiev’s “A linkage of mind and brain: Sir John Eccles and modern dualistic interactionism”, Biomed Rev 2011; 22: 85-89
- Stoyanov, D, R. Cloninger, Relation of People Centered Public Health to Person Centered Health Care Management: a case study to reduce burn out, Int J Pers Cent Med, Vol. 2 (1): 90-95