Procedures and Information
Research agreements with a corporate entity include agreements such as a Sponsored Research Agreement (SRA), a Corporate Research Agreement (CRA), and a Clinical Trial Agreement (CTA).
Sponsored research is generally considered "cost reimbursable" and should include detailed budgets, typically including such conditions as:
- a budget related to the project plan. The terms of the agreement may specify allowable or unallowable costs, requirements for prior approvals for particular expenditures, etc.
- a specified period of performance, typically defined with "start" and "stop" dates
- a requirement to return any unexpended funds at the end of that period
- regular financial reporting and audit
Note: A sponsored project budget should include the University's full negotiated non federal Facility and Administrative (F&A) cost rate (formerly known as Indirect Cost rate) applied on a Modified Total Direct Cost (MTDC) basis, unless a waiver of those costs has been approved or the sponsor has a formal written policy dictating limitations. If so, this policy should be provided to your Clinical Corporate Contract Officer.
Procedure for Submission of an SRA/CRA/CTA
- Send electronic copy to: email@example.com and cc your Corporate Contract Officer.
- Submit completed Contract Submission Form by faxing it to 412-624-7414 or by emailing a PDF copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office of Research staff (OR) reviews/negotiates language. When accepted language is finalized:
- Principal Investigator (PI) signs first if so required by the contract format
- Office of Research signs after the PI has signed
- The designated research administrator will be contacted when the CRA/SRA is available to pick up from our office.
Note: Due to tremendous volume, OR generally cannot send out copies of your grants or contracts due to financial constraints.
Note: OR needs the original copy of any signed agreement which might be returned to you. We are the Office of Record!
Before signing corporate funding agreements:
- PI has signed contracts (if required) - no "per" signature and no stamped signatures allowed.
- Form 0136s on file with questions answered, and appropriate signatures.
- If this is a clinical trial with corporate funding, UPMC fiscal and legal office approvals must be on file in the Office of Research for projects using UPMC facilities, patients, or records.
- Current annual Conflict of Interest (COI) filing for the PI with evidence available to the Office of Research and resolution of any known COI issues to satisfaction of that committee.
- Appropriate Internet-based Studies in Education and Research (ISER) or CITI modules demonstrable to Office of Research