Finite Element Circus, Fall 2012
October 19-20, 2012
Location and TimesThe Friday session will start at 1:30pm, while the Saturday session will start at 9am. Both sessions will be held in the Cathedral of Learning, room 324.
Circus DinnerA dinner is planned at 6:30pm Friday night at the William Pitt Union, Kurtzman room. The dinner is free, but please indicate whether or not you wish to attend when registering to help the organizers have an idea how many people to expect.
Local Information and Accommodations
A map of various landmarks on campus can be found here.
A block of 40 rooms are reserved until September 26 at the Holiday Inn at a University reduced rate of $135 per night plus tax. Parking is $18 per day. Please provide the group code FEC when reserving a room.
- Holiday Inn at University Center, 100 Lytton Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213. Phone: (412) 682-6200. (3 blocks away)
- Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh - University Place, 3454 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213. Phone:(412)683-2040. (6 blocks away)
- Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, 3315 Hamlet St., Pittsburgh, PA 15213. Phone: (412) 681-1000. (1.2 miles away)
- Shadyside Inn, 5405 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15232. Phone: (412) 441-4444. (1.3 miles away)
- Quality Inn - University Center, 3401 Blvd of the Allies , Pittsburgh, PA 15213. Phone: (412) 683-6100. (0.8 miles away)
- More hotels near campus.
DirectionsThe Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) is 20.5 miles away from the University of Pittsburgh (25-45 minutes driving time depending on the time of day). There are several options to get to campus from the airport.
- Yellow Cab (412-321-8100). The average taxi fare from the airport to campus is approximately $45.
- Express Shuttle Service (1-800-991-9890). A shuttle service between the airport and the downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland areas. The fare is $25 one way and $43 round trip.
- SuperShuttle (1-800-258-3826). Another shuttle service that serves the airport and the Oakland/Downtown area.
- Public Bus Transportation
with Port Authority Transit 28X Airport Flyer. The trip cost is $3.75 one way and
exact change is required. The bus runs every 30 minutes from the airport at gate #6,
and the duration of the trip is typically 50 minutes.
See the flyer
for more details.
ParkingIf you need to park on campus, you might want to park at the following garages:
- Soldiers and Sailors (SO): The rates are 0-1 hour $4; 1-2 hours $5; 2-4 hours $7; 4-6 hours $8; 6-8 hours $10; 8-10 hours $12; Over 10 hours $14.
- O'Hara (OH) : The rates are 0-1 hour $4; 1-2 hours $5; 2-4 hours $8; 4-6 hours $9; 6-8 hours $10; 8-10 hours $14; Over 10 hours $17.
- All garages are listed on this map.