- Lecturer in ESL at Xiang-Ya (Hunan-Yale) Hunan Medical University, P.R. of China, 1992.
- Assistant Professor at the International University of Japan.
- Lecturer in ESL at Hunan Agricultural University, Changsha, P.R. of China.
- Other teaching experience in France and the United Kingdom.
Areas of Specialization
- Linguistic theory
- Second Language Acquisition
- Syntax and semantics
- Working memory and sentence processing
- Language Development in Intensive English Programs
- Intensive English Program Administration
- Research on acquisition of derivational morphology in second language acquisition
- Research on second language processing
- National Science Foundation funded: Robust Learning of vocabulary in ESL.
- Pittsburgh Science of Learning Center
- Chair of the English Course Committee, Pittsburgh Science of Learning Center
- ELI Data Mining Group on GitHub
Selected Recent and Forthcoming Publications. Click on highlighted links to access abstracts and papers
- A complete list of publications and citations
- Wu, Zhaohong & Juffs, A. (2018). Revisiting the Revised Hierarchical Model: Evidence for concept mediation in backward translation. Bilingualism, Language and Cognition. First view.
- Juffs, A. (2017).The importance of grain size in phonology and the possibility that phonological working memory is epiphenomenal. Applied Psycholinguistics, 36,6, 1329-1333.
- Juffs, A. (2017). Moving generative SLA from knowledge of constraints to production data in educational settings. Plenary Addresss, PACSLRF, 2016. Second Language (Journal of the Japan Second Language Association), 16, 19-38.
- Juffs, A. (in press). Lexical development in the writing of English Language Program Students. In R. M. DeKeyser & G. P. Botana (Eds.), Reconciling methodological demands with pedagogical applicability. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Li, Noriyasu & Juffs, A. (2015). The influence of moraic structure on English L2 syllable final consonants. Proceedings of the 2014 Meeting on Phonology . MIT: Cambridge, MA
- Davis, B., Juffs, A., McCormick, D. E., Mizera, G., O'Neill, M. C., Slaathaug, M., & Smith, D. (2015).Academic Vocabulary Building in English, Low-Intermediate. (Vol. 1). Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Davis, B., Juffs, A., McCormick, D. E., Mizera, G., O'Neill, M. C., Slaathaug, M., & Smith, D. (2015).Academic Vocabulary Building in English, Intermediate. (Vol. 2). Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Juffs, A. (2015). Working memory and sentence processing: a brief
overview. In Wen, Zhisheng, Mota, Mailce & McNeill, Arthur. (eds) Working
memory in second language acquisition and processing: theory, research and
practice. Bristol, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- Juffs, A. & Rodriguez, G.A. (2014). Second Language Sentence Processing. New York: Routledge.
- Juffs, A. & Friedline, B.F. (2014). Sociocultural influences on the use of a web-based tool for learning English vocabulary. System, 42(2), 137-166
- Eskenazi, M. & Juffs, A. (2013). Information retrieval for reading tutors. Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics.
- Rehak, K., & Juffs, A. (2011). Native and non-native processing of
morphology. Proceedings of the Second Language Research Forum 2010: Cambridge, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Juffs, A. & Harrington, M.W. (2011). Aspects of working memory in L2 Learning.Language Teaching: Reviews and Studies, 42, 2, 137-166.
- Juffs, A. (2010). Formal linguistic perspectives on second language acquisition. In R. Kaplan (ed.). The Oxford Handbook of Applied Linguistics, 142-162. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Juffs, A. (2009). The second language acquisition of the lexicon. In W. Ritchie & T.K. Bhatia, (eds). The New Handbook of Second Language Acquisition. Leeds, UK. Emerald.
- Spinner, P. & Juffs, A. (2008). L2 grammatical gender errors: Seeking the source of the problem. International
Review of Applied Linguistics, 46, 315-348.
- Heilman, M., Juffs, A. & Eskenazi, M. (2010). Choosing reading passages for vocabulary learning by topic to increase intrinsic motivation. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications. 158.566.
- DeKeyser, R. M., & Juffs, A. (2005). Cognitive considerations in L2 learning. In E. Hinkel (Ed.), Handbook of Research in Second Language Teaching and Learning (pp. 437-454). Mahwah, NJ: Lawence Erlbaum Associates.
- Juffs, A. (2004). Representation, processing and working memory in a second language. Transactions of the Philological
Society, 102, 199-226.
- Juffs, A. (2005). The influence of first language on the processing of wh-movement in English as a second language. Second Language Research, 21,
- Juffs, A. (2006). Grammmar and parsing and a transition theory. Applied Psycholinguistics, 27, 69-71.
- Juffs, A. (2006). Processing reduced relative vs. main verb ambiguity in English as a Second Language: a replication study with working memory. In R. Slabakova, S. Montrul & P. Prevost (Eds.), Inquiries in Linguistic Development in Honor of Lydia White (pp. 213-232). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Juffs, A. (2006). Working Memory, second language acquisition, and low-educated second language and literacy learners. In I van de Craats, J. Kuvers & M. Young-Scholten (eds.), Low educated adult second language learners and literacy acquisition. LOT Occasional Papers, 89-105. Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics
PhD Dissertations Directed or Co-Directed and Job Placement
- PhD students and topics:
- On going: Benjamin Naismith. Lexicon, lexical development, and instructional corpus resources for teacher training.
- 2017. Zhaohong Wu. Processing of English derived words in advanced second language learners: Effects of L1 typology, morphological awareness, suffix complexity, and L2 proficiency. Assistant Professor, Beijing Foreign Languages University.
- 2017 Noriyasu Li. Interpretation and processing of the system of Japanese reflexives. Post doctoral researcher/Language Specialist, Amazon.com. University of Pittsburgh.
- 2015. Andy Jeske. The development of English Front Vowels by Spanish-Speaking Children. Amazon.com.
- 2015. Katherine A. Martin. L1 Impacts on L2 Component Reading Skills, Word Skills, and
Overall Reading Achievement. Assistant Professor, Department of Linguistics. Southern Illinois University.
- 2013. A Winner of
the 2013 Provost's Award for Excellence in Mentoring Doctoral Students
- 2013. Marcos Miguel, Nausica. Analyzing instruction and learning of derivational morphology in the Spanish language foreign language classroom. Assistant Professor, Denison University.
- 2013. Olsen, Michael K. The acquisition of Case in Spanish pronominal object clitics in English-speaking College level L2 learners. Assistant Professor, University of Wisconsin, Stevens Pointe.
- 2011. Benjamin E. Friedline. Challenges in the second language acquisition of derivational morphology: from theory to practice.Lecturer, University of Kansas.
- 2011. Roberto O. Aranovich. Optional agreement and grammatical functions: a corpus study of dative clitic doubliing in Spanish. University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire. Co-directed with Lori Levin, Carnegie Mellon University.
- 2007. Annalisa Czeczulin. The Russian Reflexive in second language acquisition.
Binding preferences and L1 transfer. Assistant Professor Goucher
College , Maryland and Johns Hopkins University . Co-directed with Professor
- 2007. Guillermo A. Rodriguez. Second Language Sentence
Processing. Is it fundamentally different? Associate Professor, University of Vermont.
- 2007. Patti Spinner. Placement testing and morphosyntactic
development in second language learners of English. Associate Professor, Michigan State University.
- 2006. Greg Mizera. Working Memory and L2 Oral Fluency. Lecturer, University of Pittsburgh.
- 2003.Alan Vogel. Verb Classes in Jarawara. Senior Linguist, Summer
Institute of Linguistics, Brazil. (Co-Directed with Professor Sally Thomason.)
- 2002. Michael
Fender. English word recognition and word integration skills of Arabic and Japanese ESL learners. Associate
Professor, California State University at Long Beach. (Co-Directed with Professor R. Donato.)
- 2001.Jenifer Larson-Hall. The critical period and second language acquisition: Evidence from phonology. Associate Professor, University of Northern Kyushu.
- 2000. Patrick Andre Mather.. The role of L1 transfer in contact-induced language change. Full
Professor, University of Puerto
- 2000. Mark Anthony Darhower. CALL and dialog journals in Spanish as a second language.Associate Professor, North Carolina State University.
Recent and forthcoming Conference Presentations
- 2018. Naismith, B., Han, N.-R., Juffs, A., Hill, B. L., & Zheng, D. (2018). Accurate Measurement of Lexical Sophistication with Reference to ESL Learner Data. Educational Data Mining 2018, Buffalo, NY.
- 2018. Juffs, A. On the Importance of Descriptive and Theoretical Linguistics in the Theory and Practice of Language Learning and Teaching, May, 2018, Tsing Hua University, Taiwan. International Conference on English Teaching and Learning
- 2018. Juffs, A. Validating IEP Placement Practice with K-cluster analysis. TESOL International. March, 27-30, 2018, Chicago, IL
- 2017. Juffs, A. Tracking longitudinal vocabulary development in an Intensive English Program: finding appropriate measures. Second Language Research Forum, October 13-15, 2017. The Ohio State University.
- 2017. Li, Noriyasu & Alan Juffs. L2 Acquisition of the System of Japanese Reflexives: Evidence of UG in L2 Binding. Second Language Research Forum, October 13-15, 2017. The Ohio State University.
- 2016. Juffs, A. Second language acquisition and linguistic theory at the crossroads: invited plenary at PacSLRF, October 2016, Chuo University, Japan. PACLSLRF 2016
- 2016. Juffs, A. An analysis of IEP Placement and Diagnostic Assessment Tools: Reconciling Program Goals and Accreditation Standards. Georgetown University Round Table (GURT) March, 11-13, 2016, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. GURT 2016
- 2016. Wu, Zhaohong & Alan Juffs. L2 Concept category facilitation effects support concept mediation in L2-L1 translation. Linguistic Society of America Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C. USA.
- 2014. Juffs, A., & Vercellotti, M-L. The interaction of the lexical diversity and the use of trigrams in spoken ESL. Association Internationale de Linguistique Appliqueex. (AILA). Brisbane, Australia. August
- 2014. Martin, K, & Juffs, A. L1 orthographic background and listening discrimination influence on L2 spelling. American Association of Applied Linguistics, Portland, OR, March 2014.
- 2013. Juffs, A, Petrich, J, & N-R Han. Tracking the development of lexical diversity in intensive English program students in the US. American Association of Applied Linguistics, Houston, TX. 2013.
- 2011. Martin, K. and Juffs, A. Reading in English: A Comparison of Native Arabic, Native Chinese, and native English speakers. Poster. International Symposium on Bilingualism 8 (ISB8).
- 2010. Rehak, K. and Juffs, A. Native and Non-Native Processing of Morphologically Complex English Words. Second Language Research Forum, October 2010. University of Maryland.
- 2009. Juffs, A. & Friedline, B. L1 influence, morphological (in)sensitivity and L2 lexical development: Evidence from production data. Paper presented at the Eastern Psychological Association Annual Meeting. March 4, 2009.
- 2009. Juffs, A. Invited plenary: Syntactic and Morphological processing failures in L2: issues and solutions. Paper presented at the L2 Processing and Parsing. Lubbock, Texas. May 23, 2009
- Juffs, A. and Rodriguez, G. Second language sentence processing and working memory in college-educated and low-educated learners of English as a second language. EuroSLA, Antalya, Turkey. September, 2006.
- Juffs, A., Eskenazi, M., Callan, J., Wilson, L., Heilman, M., Collins-Thompson, K and Pelletreau, T. Promoting robust learning of vocabulary through computer assisted language learning. June, 2006, AAAL Montreal.
- Pharmakis, P. and A. Juffs. It's all Greek to me: L1 lemma mediated access in Greek/English bilinguals. Poster at GASLA 8, Banff, April, 2006.
- Spinner, P. & A. Juffs. Case in the acquisition of L2 German. GASLA VII. Indiana University, April 2004.
- Jelliffe, J.D. & Juffs, A. (Poster). The Parsing of Sentences with Full Relative Clauses by L2 Learners. GASLA VII. Indiana University, IN. April. 2004.
- Juffs, A. (2003, October 18 2003). Working memory: understanding issues inb mainstream psychology. Paper presented at the Second Language Research Forum, Tucson, Arizona.
- 2002. Working memory as a variable in accounting for individual differences in second language performance. American Association of Applied Linguistics Annual Meeting. April 6-9. 2002. Salt Lake City, UT
- 2000a. Working memory and L1 influences in ambiguity resolution in L2 English sentence processing. American Association of Applied Linguistics Annual Meeting. March 11-14. 2000. Vancouver, BC.
- 2000b. Creating and implementing an achievable annual marketing plan. University and College Intensive English Program/National Association of Foreign Student Advisors Annual Meeting. Workshop #18. San Diego, CA: May 29, 2000. With M. Louise Krumm (Georgetown University); A Clive Roberts (San Diego State University); Rafael Robles (University of Miami); Sam Lee (University of Southern California.)