Ph.D. Student in Psychology (Clinical), University of Pittsburgh
M.S. in Psychology (Clinical), University of Pittsburgh, 2013
B.A. in Psychology/Philosophy, University of Washington, 2009
My research experiences have been marked by interdisciplinary contributions, the beginnings of scientific leadership, and exposure to all areas of the research process including planning, recruitment, data collection, data analysis, and publication. Through each of these experiences, the content of my research interests has been increasingly refined from unconscious biases to nonverbal communication and finally social dynamics. This progression has provided me with a breadth of psychological knowledge and a depth of experience with quantitative and computational methods.
Keywords: Affective computing, facial expression, nonverbal communication, depression
- Girard, J. M., Cohn, J. F., Mahoor, M. H., Mavadati, S., & Rosenwald, D. P. (2013). Social Risk and Depression: Evidence from manual and automatic facial expression analysis. IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition. [pdf]
- Jeni, L. A., Girard, J. M., Cohn, J. F., & Torre, F. D. La. (2013). Continuous AU Intensity Estimation using Localized, Sparse Facial Feature Space. International Workshop on Emotion Representation, Analysis and Synthesis in Continuous Time and Space. [pdf]
- Girard, J. M., & Cohn, J. F. (2011). Criteria and metrics for thresholded AU detection. IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision Workshops (pp. 2191-2197). [pdf]
- Girard, J. M., & Mullins, P. (2007). Effect of sexual history and situational factors on automatic sexual perceptions. University of Washington Undergraduate Research Symposium (p. 65).
- Girard, J. M. (2013). Continuous Coding Software. Pittsburgh, PA. [manual] [log] [zip]
- Girard, J. M. (2013). Continuous Rating Software. Pittsburgh, PA. [manual] [log] [zip]