*Introductory (or master's level) graduate courses are assigned the numbers 2000-2999; advanced (or doctoral level) graduate courses are assigned numbers 3000-3999.

Grading System Definitions and Grade Points
Grading Options
Grade Assignments
N (Noncredit Audit) Option
G and I Grades
Grade Changes
Official University Record: GPA Calculation

The following policy includes all grades and their corresponding definitions which may be legitimately issued within the schools of the University of Pittsburgh. All available grading options and their uses are also included. Each school uses symbols and grading options consistent with this University Grading Policy. The Registrar will record for a particular course only those grades specified in the Schedule of Classes. An inappropriate grade reported for a student will register as invalid, hence Z. Students will be subject to the grading policy of the school in which a course is given. Graduate students wishing to register for undergraduate courses should contact the dean's office of the Academic Center offering the course to explore grading option requirements and procedures.

Grading System Definitions and Grade Points

A+       = 4.00
A         = 4.00 Superior attainment
A-        = 3.75
B+       = 3.25
B          = 3.00 Adequate graduate level attainment
B-        = 2.75
C+       = 2.25
C         = 2.00 Minimal graduate level attainment
C-        = 1.75
D+       = 1.25
D         = 1.00
D-        = 0.75
F          = 0.00 Failure
G         Course work unfinished because of extenuating personal circumstances
H         Exceptional (honors) completion of course requirements
I           Incomplete course work, due to the nature of the course, clinical work, or incomplete research work in individual guidance courses or seminars
N         Noncredit audit
NC      No Credit
R          Student resigned from the University
S          Satisfactory (successful) completion of course requirements
U         Unsatisfactory (failing) completion of course requirements
W        Withdrawal
Z          Invalid grade reported
**        No grade reported

Grading Options

LG                               Letter Grade
H/S/U                          Honors/Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory
H/HS/S/LS/U               Honors/High Satisfactory/Satisfactory/Low
S/NC                           Satisfactory/No Credit (formerly the S/N option)
LG and H/S/U              Letter Grade and
LG and S/NC               Letter Grade and Satisfactory/No Credit

*This option is available for professional students in the School of Medicine only.

Each Academic Center is responsible for establishing guidelines as to which University-approved grading options are appropriate for courses offered by that Academic Center. Similarly, each department may identify from among the grading options approved by the Academic Center those it deems acceptable for the courses it offers. Furthermore, each course instructor may specify, within the range of grading options approved by the department and the Academic Center, the grading options which may be selected by students taking his or her course. A University Grade Option/Audit Request form is not required to be completed by a student and will not be accepted by the Office of the Registrar for a graduate course. Only the S/NC grading option may be used in evaluating thesis or dissertation research.

Grade Assignments

It is the responsibility of each faculty member of the University to assign a standard letter grade or option grade as listed in the Schedule of Classes to each student enrolled in an approved University course. All other grades will be recorded by the Registrar as a Z, an invalid grade.

N (Noncredit Audit) Option

A student may choose to audit any graduate course on a space available basis. After obtaining the instructor's permission to audit a course, the student follows the same procedures as registering for credit. Tuition is assessed for all audits. An N or W are appropriate grades for courses audited.

G and I Grades

A student may be graduated without removing G and/or I grades from the record provided all degree requirements have been met and the student's department recommends graduation. The individual school's grading policy should be consulted for regulations dealing with the removal of I grades. Students assigned G grades are required to complete course requirements no later than one year after the term in which the course was taken. Once the deadline has passed, the G grade will remain on the record, and the student will be required to re-register for the course if it is needed to fulfill requirements for graduation.

Grade Changes

A faculty member wishing to effect a grade change must complete a Grade Change Request. The dean of the school in which the course is offered or his or her designee must approve a grade change before it will be honored by the Registrar. While each school may determine a time limit for grade changes, they should be processed no later than one year after the initial grade was assessed. There may be reasons that justify a later change of grade, but they must be of an unusual nature and considered most exceptional. Any exception must receive the dean's approval. Changes in I grades are exempt from this policy.

Official University Record: GPA Calculation

A student's graduate Grade Point Average (GPA) is obtained by dividing the total number of letter grade credits taken in the graduate program into the total number of grade points earned in the graduate program. Only letter grades with GPA values will be used in computing the Grade Point Average.

A student may repeat any course in which a grade of B- or lower is received if an authorization to repeat the course is given by the student's adviser. A school may restrict the type and/or number of different courses which may be repeated during one degree program. The grade earned by repeating a course is used in lieu of the grade originally earned, although the original grade is not erased from the transcript. No course may be repeated more than twice. No sequence course may be repeated for credit after a more advanced course in that sequence has been passed with a B or higher grade. The repeated course must be the same as that in which the original grade was earned. In extenuating circumstances, a department chair or program director, with the dean's approval, may substitute another course of similar content. Grades of W, R, or N reported for the repeated course will not be counted as a course repeat.

To initiate only the last course grade being computed in the GPA, a Course Repeat form must be filed with the dean's office.

Top of page

Table of Contents

Send inquires to