Back to Minutes Page
Committee for the Support and
Advancement of Women at Pitt
October 1, 2004 Minutes
- Those attending were Barbara Barnes, Patty
Beeson, Sherry Miller Brown, Jean Carr, Heidi Feldman, B. Jean Ferketish, Kathryn Flannery, Irene Frieze, Randi Koeski, Consuella Lewis, Annamore Matambanadzo, Ellen Olshansky,
Josephine Olson, Lorie Osho, Ann Ostroski, Kelly Otter, Emily Schweiger,
Amy Wagner, and Kathie Wisner.
2. Announcements and background
- Continuation of last year’s Plenary
committee. See Committee website at
for information about activities last year. The old Plenary Committee is continuing
this year as an ad hoc Committee.
Beeson. New Vice Provost.
- Patty became the new Vice Provost this
summer. Part of
her duties include women’s issues on campus and liaison from the
Provost’s office to PACWC. She
has been meeting with various groups of women to learn about how people
see some of the issues. Some
projects she will be working on include making women more visible on
campus and professional development for women. She will be working on revisions of
the PACWC website and hopes to include more information of relevance to
Flannery. New Director of Women’s Studies.
- Kathryn became the Director of the Women’s
Studies Program this fall. She
will continue the Teaching and Research mission of Women’s Studies. She sees Women’s Studies as a central
focus for relaying information about women to all parts of the campus.
Reception and lecture for women faculty. Tuesday, Oct 12. 3pm.
2P56 Posvar Hall.
3. Proposed committee focus for 2004-2005: Work on a limited number of specific projects
and begin the process of applying to become a permanent Senate Committee.
A. Ideas for Committee Projects for 2004-2005
- Faculty Responsibilities for Reports of Sexual
Harassment. Review of consensual
sex policies. A major focus will be a review of how faculty and others
learn about policies and how they should respond to complaints. We will also examine the existing
policies to see if we should make any recommendations for changes. Randi Koeske,
Lorie Osho, and Irene Frieze will work on
- Mentoring for Faculty and Professional
Staff. Becoming a mentor. Heidi
Feldman and Ellen Olshansky will work on
this, along with Sherry Brown, Consuella Lewis, Ann Ostroski,
and Amy Wagner.
- Developing a fund for the support of women and women’s
projects. Irene Frieze, Patti Beeson (Provost’s Office) and Kathryn Flannery
(Women’s Studies Program) and Kathie Wisner will work on this.
B. Becoming a Senate Committee
- Committee Governance [and long term
planning]. Develop a mission
statement for the new Committee. Lisa Brush
- Check with existing committees for potential
overlap in mission and planned activities.
Irene Frieze and Josephine
4. Plans for future meetings? After some discussion we decided that we
should have a meeting of the whole committee about once a month. The subcommittees will meet between these
meetings. Subcommittee meetings will be
open and advertised to the whole mailing list.
Committee Liaisons and Advisors
- B. Jean Ferketish. Chancellor’s Office
- Patricia Beeson. Provost’s Office and PACWC
- Kit Ayars. Provost’s Office.
- Barbara Barnes.
Center for Continuing Education in Health Sciences.
- Paula Davis.
- Kathryn Flannery. Women’s Studies Program
- Ann Ostroski. SAC
Schweiger. Campus Women’s Organization.
- Jen Stephan.
Pitt News columnist.
Submitted by Irene Frieze