Instructions for Making a Bed of Nails
• Plywood board, 26" x 56" x 1"
• Panelling, 26" x 56" x 0.25"
• 12, 1" flat head wood screws
• 1375, 8" Aluminum gutter spikes
Type of spike used for the larger bottom bed.
Type of spike used for the smaller top bed.
• Saw for cutting board to size
• Drill, with a bit of the same
diameter as the gutter spikes, or very slightly smaller
• Cut both boards to size.
• Mark a grid on the plywood with
lines 1" apart, parallel to the sides and ends, see Figure 1.
• Drill a hole at each of the
intersections, orthogonal to the board's surface.
• Drive a spike through each of
• Sandwich the nail heads between
the plywood and the panelling, using the 1" wood screws to secure the
panelling to the
plywood, see Figure 2.
• If you wish to "dress it up
some", paint the boards after drilling the holes and use aluminum "L"
channeling to finish the edges.
Enjoy and use with care.
Getting on and off are the tricky parts. Always put a lot of area
on the board and have a pillow between your head and the nails, I use a
Go to How Does A Thing Like That Work?
Go to David Willey Home Page