Scope of Services
- Nursing assessment and initial treatment of health problems and
injuries by a registered nurse, Carol Mulvihill, RN-C, BSN, or Bonnie
McMillen, RN, BSN.
- Simple diagnostic screenings: chemstrip urinalysis, and urine
- First aid supplies and services, including ice packs, elastic
bandages, crutches, wheelchair.
- Physician services: Medical clinic on campus biweekly with one
of our campus physicians: S. Kantipudi, M.D., V.R.
Nadella, M.D., or D. Singh, M.D. The nurse
has verbal consultation privileges with the campus physician on a daily
- Referrals to community agencies and services:
Bradford Regional Medical Center Emergency Department, Outpatient
X-Ray Department; Physician Specialists; Dentists and Oral
Surgeons; Family Planning Clinic; Sexually Transmitted Disease Clinic; The
Guidance Center; Pennsylvania State Health Center.
- Health educational programs, internet resources, and literature
a variety of health-related topics.
- Counseling, including health and wellness counseling, and
problem counseling. Referrals to a clinical psychologist on campus are
available, as well as referrals to the local Guidance Center.
- Self-Care Center for Colds
- Self-Care Center for Cuts
- Self-Care Center for Upset Stomach
- Blood Pressure Monitoring and Counseling
- Administration of Allergy Injections
During 1997-98 , there were 3,198 visits
to the Student Health Service. There were 1,280 enrolled students at the
University of Pittsburgh at Bradford, including 506 resident
The 983 visits to the nurse comprised 31% of total Health Service
Visits. Physician visits and consults (259) accounted for 8% of all
visits. The Self-Care Center for Colds remained the most highly utilized
area of Health Services with 1,614 visits, comprising 50% of total
visits. The Self-Care Center for Cuts had 225 visits (7%), and Self-Care
for Upset Stomach had 117 visits (4%).
Due to a relatively mild winter, the number of visits to the nurse and the
number of visits to the Self-Care Center for Colds showed noticable
decreases compared to the preceding year. In 1996-97 there were 1,148
visits to the nurse, compared to 983 in 1997-98. There were 2,184
visits to the Self-Care Center for Colds in 1996-97, compared to 1,614 in
Return to Annual Report 1997-98