Dr. Charles E. Jones
Lecturer and Undergraduate Advisor for the Geology and Environmental Geology B.S. programs
Dept. of Geology and Planetary Science
200 S.R.C.C. Building
4107 O'Hara Street
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260-3332
Phone: (412) 624-6347
Fax: (412) 624-3914
- B.S. with honors and distinction, Stanford University, 1988
- Ph.D. on "Seawater Strontium Isotopes in the Jurassic and Early Cretaceous", Oxford University, 1992
- Post-Doctoral Fellow at the University of Michigan, 1996
| Honors and Awards
- Rhodes Scholarship (tenable at Oxford University for three years)
- National Science Foundation Graduate Studies Fellowship (declined)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Firestone Major Grant for Undergraduate Research (See Jones, 1991, below.)
| Geology and Environment Geology Advising
- To get admitted to our undergraduate programs, apply through Admissions and declare Geology or Environmental Geology some time after you arrive. Feel free to come talk to me at any time. You will initially be assigned an Arts and Sciences advisor, but you are certainly welcome to talk to me as well!
- If you are transferring to Pitt and want to know if specific classes will count toward our geology degrees, call me. If you want to know if Pitt will officially transfer in specific classes, contact the folks at Pitt Admissions.
- For full information related to the Geology major, the Environmental Geology major, the Environmental Studies major, and the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Certificate, visit the 'Undergraduate' links on the Geology and Planetary Science Pages!
| Classes Taught
The links are mainly to the class syllabi. These are either to the most recent syllubus (if I teach the class infrequently) or to one that is likely to be similar to the most recent class. I am unlikely to teach in the near future any of the classes without a link.
A web database of geologic images such as are commonly shown in introductory geology classes is currently under construction. The list of topics will include:
- Astronomical images relating to the origin of the Earth and Solar System
- Igneous Rocks, Intrusive Bodies, Volcanic Systems
- Sedimentary Rocks
- Metamorphic Rocks
- Geologic Structures
- Mass Wasting
- River Systems
- Jones, C.E., and Jones, N.W., 2013, Laboratory Manual for Physical Geology, 8th edition, McGraw-Hill, 352pp.
- Jones, C.E., and Jones, N.W., 2010, Laboratory Manual for Physical Geology, 7th edition, McGraw-Hill, 352pp.
- Jones, N.W. and Jones, C.E., 2008, Laboratory Manual for Physical Geology, 6th edition, McGraw-Hill, 353pp.
- Jones, N.W. and Jones, C.E., 2006, Laboratory Manual for Physical Geology, 5th edition, McGraw-Hill, 339pp.
- Jones, N.W. and Jones, C.E., 2003, Laboratory Manual for Physical Geology, 4th edition, McGraw-Hill, 318pp.
- Jenkyns, H.C., Jones, C.E., Gröcke, D.R., Hesselbo, S.P., and Parkinson, D.N., 2002, Chemostratigraphy of the Jurassic System: applications, limitations, and implications for palaeoceanography, Journal of the Geological Society, London, v. 159, p. 351-378.
- Jones, C.E. and Jenkyns, H.C., 2001, Seawater Sr isotopes, oceanic anoxic events, and sea floor hydrothermal activity in the Jurassic and Cretaceous, American Journal of Science.
- Jones, C.E., Halliday, A.N., Rea, D.K., and Owen, R.M., 2000, Eolian inputs of Pb to the North Pacific, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v. 64, p. 1405-1416.
- Price, G.D., Ruffell, A.H., Jones, C.E., Kalin, R.M., Mutterlose, J., 2000, Isotopic evidence for temperature variation during the early Cretaceous (late Ryazanian-mid-Hauterivian), Journal of the Geological Society, London, v. 157, p. 335-343
- Erba, E., Channell, J.E.T., Claps, M., Jones, C.E., Larson, R., Opdyke, B., Premoli Silva, I., Riva, A., Salvini, G. and Torricelli, S., 1999, Integrated stratigraphy of the Cismon APTICORE (Southern Alps, Italy): A "reference section" for the Barremian-Aptian interval at low latitudes, in Huber, B., Bralower, T.J., and Leckie, R.M. Biotic Change and Paleoecology of Black Shale Environments: A Memorial to William V. Sliter, Journal of Foraminiferal Research v. 29, p. 371-391.
- Barrera E., Savin S. M., Thomas E., and Jones C. E. (1997) Evidence for thermohaline circulation reversals controlled by sea-level change in the latest Cretaceous: Geology v. 25, p. 715-718.
- Weber, E.T., Owen, R.M., Dickens, G.R., Halliday, A.N., Jones, C. E., and Rea, D.K., 1996, Quantitative resolution of eolian continental crustal material and volcanic detritus in North Pacific surface sediment: Paleoceanography, v. 11, p. 115-127.
- Jones, C. E., Halliday, A. N., and Lohmann, K. C., 1995, The impact of diagenesis on high precision U-Pb dating of ancient carbonates; an example from the Late Permian of New Mexico: Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 134, no. 3-4, p. 409-423.
- Snoeckx, H., Rea, D. K., Jones, C. E., and Ingram, B. L., 1995, Eolian and silica deposition in the central north Pacific: Results from Leg 145 Sites 885/886: ODP Sci Res, v. 145, p. 219 230.
- Jones, C. E., Halliday, A. N., Rea, D. K., and Owen, R. M., 1994, Neodymium isotopic variations in North Pacific modern silicate sediment and the insignificance of detrital REE contributions to seawater: Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 127, no. 1-4, p. 55-66.
- Jones, C. E., Jenkyns, H. C., Coe, A. L., and Hesselbo, S. P., 1994, Strontium isotopic variations in Jurassic and Cretaceous seawater: Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v. 58, no. 14, p. 3061-3074.
- Jones, C. E., Jenkyns, H. C., and Hesselbo, S. P., 1994, Strontium isotopes in Early Jurassic seawater: Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v. 58, no. 4, p. 1285-1301.
- Smalley, P. C., Higgins, A. C., Howarth, R. J., Nicholson, H., Jones, C. E., Swinburne, N. H. M., and Bessa, J., 1994, Seawater Sr isotope variations through time; a procedure for constructing a reference curve to date and correlate marine sedimentary rocks: Geology, v. 22, no. 5, p. 431-434.
- Jones, C. E., 1991, Characteristics and origin of rock varnish from the hyperarid coastal deserts of northern Peru: Quaternary Research, v. 35, no. 1, p. 116-129.