The Drug and Alcohol Forum
GUIDELINES FOR CONTRIBUTORS
Drug and Alcohol Forum, Inc. is looking for contributions of articles from the field of substance abuse/addiction. Manuscripts will be judged in terms of originality; validity and documentation; clarity; and significance to prevention, intervention and treatment of addiction disease.
Manuscripts are published either as articles (3,000-5,000 words) or as briefs (1,000 words). Submit four copies of the manuscript as well as a copy of the article on disk; together with a letter of transmittal including:
- identification of the person responsible for negotiations, address and phone number
- a biographical sketch of the author(s) of no more than 100 words.
- written permission of the author(s) and publisher(s) to use this or any previously published material. It should contain the following language:
"In consideration of Drug and Alcohol Forum, Inc. taking action in reviewing and editing my submission, the author(s) undersigned hereby transfers, assigns or otherwise conveys all copyright ownership to Drug and Alcohol Forum, Inc. in the event that such work is published by Drug and Alcohol Forum, Inc."
- Two different title pages are required:
- one including the title of the manuscript, four to five key words for indexing purposes, full name(s) of author(s) with academic degrees and titles.
- a second title page (submitted to reviewers) giving only the title of the manuscript. The author’s name should not appear on any pages.
- An abstract of no more than 100 words must accompany each manuscript. This abstract should provide the main ideas of the article, its purpose and the principal conclusions.
- The text of each article should be organized in the following format
- presentation of topic (with appropriate subheadings)
- references – all reference citations should follow current APA guidelines.
A minimum of five questions should accompany the manuscript. The questions must be in multiple choice format and focus on the main concepts of the article.
The manuscript should be typed on 8½ x 11 inch white paper with at least one inch margins and double-spaced throughout. Also, a copy must be submitted on disk, IBM WordPerfect 5.1, 6.1 or Word 6.0.
Manuscripts are examined by reviewers composed of professional consultants from the areas of medicine, psychology, social work, prevention, DUI or addiction treatment. The reviewing staff will make all final decisions as to the acceptance of the article for publication. All manuscripts and test questions are subject to copy editing. If the article is accepted, the article and the test questions will be returned to the author in their edited version for the author’s approval. Rejected manuscripts will not be returned.
Following the author’s proof-reading of the final edited article, the article and test questions will be submitted to the appropriate professional certification board for continuing education credits.