1. Where and how is Joseph Burke injured?
2. What does Burke discover when he returns home?
3. In the last half of the first "Pentimento," where does the action occur?
4. How does the point of view change in the first "Bobby" chapter?
5. In the second "Pentimento," what does Burke "feel funny" about?
6. What does Burke resolve to do at the end of Chapter Three?
7. What does Burke ask Carol in the third "Pentimento"?
8. What "profession" does Burke try in Chapter Four?
9. What profession does Burke pursue in Chapter Five?
10. Who hires Burke in Chapter Six? Whom is Burke hired to protect?
11. Whom does Burke intimidate in Chapter Nine?
12. What frightens Lauren in Chapter Eleven?
13. What does Lauren do in Chapter Twelve?
14. What is the central event of Chapter Fourteen?
15. What is the central event of Chapter Sixteen?
16. In Chapter Seventeen, what is Burke hired to do?
17. In one or two sentences, describe the central event of Chapter Eighteen?
18. In Chapter Nineteen, what does the thin man tell Burke?
19. In Chapter Twenty, why do Robinson and Burke have trouble getting a cab?